Cold weather calls for hot cocoa. But really cold weather calls for something a bit… stronger. Create a twist on the classic cocoa with Mexican spices and booze! The result is a rich, velvety sip that packs a punch. Decadent bittersweet chocolate, spicy cayenne, cinnamon, and vanilla will warm you right up! Serves 8.
- 4 cups of 2% evaporated milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 oz. tequila
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate cut into pieces
- whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- In a saucepan, whisk evaporated milk, whole milk, vanilla, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, chili powder, cayenne and sea salt.
- Once combined, add cinnamon sticks and heat on medium low until warm, stirring occasionally.
- Once warm, add the chocolate and cook until fully melted.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat. Continue stirring occasionally until the liquid thickens (about 10 minutes)
- In a mug, add tequila, and mexican hot chocolate. Stir to combine. Top with whipped cream (optional) and enjoy!
Prefer a Hot Toddy? Whats your go to cold weather cocktail? You can let us know here on our blog, on Facebook or in the store. We are excited to hear your opinions! We also deliver locally, to East Hampton, Wainscot, Bridgehampton, Sag Harbor, and Montauk.
–Pauline Fink, Staff